Good Morning Folks !!
Wishing you a bright Sunday Morning 🙂
This is a perfect post for a Sunday as it is a perfect vegan substitute for an omelette. Its a Vegan Frittata, a mushy vege filled vegan omelette which tastes shockingly like an egg omelette and that to without all the eggy smell 😀 ! As a new vegan it is normal to have cravings for foods you ate growing up. Vegan substitutes can really help fill these gaps. If you are a transitioning vegan looking at vegan alternatives to eggs this recipe is for you!
Tofu hasn’t been my absolute go to food since I became Vegan. That is the reason it took me so long to try it in omelette form. I got to agree though it is amazing the variety of ways in which tofu successfully replaces non vegan foods in various recipes. The first time I made and had this dish it really confused my mind. I didn’t really expect it to taste this convincing! It could easily convince a non vegan. Something I got to try on my Father!
Tofu gives a perfect texture when baked in a blended form to resemble an omelette. Choose a variety which is not too soft and not like silken tofu. Besides the tofu, nutritional yeast gives a rich cheesy flavor to this dish. A lot of veggies for me in this one. Potatoes, spring onions, mushrooms, celery and red peppers give a nice crunch to the ready dish. You could choose your own set of veggies and experiment. I add celery for its sharp peppery flavor which I love. Choose your favorite herbs to spice up the dish. You could also get more indulgent with this recipe and layer your baked frittata with crisped up potato slices or perhaps serve it with a helping of Vegan cheese. I am sure I am going to try many more versions to this 😀
200g Tofu (Firm) – Drained
2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1 Tbs Rice Flour
1/3 tsp Turmeric powder/ Haldi (for color)
1 Tbs Olive Oil (more for greasing dish)
1 medium Potato cut into small cubes
1 Medium Onion finely chopped
3-5 Garlic Cloves Minced
100g button Mushrooms diced
1 small Red pepper finely chopped
3-5 Spring Onions finely chopped (with the green ends)
1/2 cup chopped celery leaves (optional)
Salt to taste
1/3 Paprika tsp powder
1. Add Tofu, nutritional yeast, rice flour and turmeric to a food processor / mixer grinder and blend into a smooth creamy texture. You may have to scrape down the contents to the bottom of mixer a couple of times to get this done.
2. In a pan heat some olive oil. Saute the onions and potato till potatoes start crisping. Add garlic, celery and spring onions and cook for few more minutes. Save some green end of spring onions for decoration.
3. Switch of the heat and add Mushrooms and red peppers to the above and mix along. Season the mixture at this stage with sea salt. Add paprika powder to this mixture. Fold the tofu paste into this and fold gently to combine.
4. Preheat oven to 350C. Lightly grease a flat baking dish and spread this mixture into the dish. Smoothen the top with a spatula.
5. Bake the dish till the sides and top start firming up. The edges start coming off the vessel and get slightly brown. It could take 30-40 minutes depending on the kind of vessel you bake the dish in.
6. Decorate with chopped greens, sprinkle papriko if you like more heat , dollops of vegan cheese if you like richness. Enjoy ! 🙂