Its Summers where I live and the temperature has been soaring off-late with some sporadic rain showers. The heat really dims your appetite for regular food and I have mostly been craving for fruits, juices and cold salads. Something hydrating, refreshing and light on tummy. I am trying to keep my dinner light these days. Mostly smaller portions of light salads and finish with some fruit. This really works for my body in this weather. 🙂
In the past one month I’ve frequently visited this Asian restaurant and have fallen in love with all their food. Asian food flavors are so fresh and tongue tingling 😛 Very suitable for hot weather. Inspired by a salad I ate there I made my own version at home. I was quite happy with the output and will definitely keep working on building on top of this recipe.
This is Rice noodle salad tossed with fresh raw seasonal ingredients. This Juicy, mouth watering and crunchy salad will surely keep you asking for more 🙂 Super healthy , oil free , quick to make and almost Raw. We cook the rice noodles by soaking it in salted warm water. They cook real fast in 3-4 minutes. We then chop the vegetables nicely. And that is something which is important in a salad dish! Chopped mushrooms, matchstick raw mango, Tomatoes, green chilli and spring onions are bathed in good amount of lemon juice. Mix with some salt and sugar for a hint of sweetness and let this mix sit for sometime. The acids from lemon cooks the mushrooms and also draws out the tangy mango flavor. Toss it all together and its ready ! This makes a perfect meal if you are looking for something light. And a refreshing salad for a party.
Time to prepare : Less than 30 mins
50G Rice vermicilli
2 TBS Roasted Peanuts
1/4 cup Raw Mango – cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup Button Mushrooms – thinly chopped
1/3 cup Cherry Tomatoes – chopped if size is big
1/3 cup Spring onions (green portion) – chopped
1 green chilli – thinly chopped
Juice of 2-3 lemons
1 tbsp cane Sugar
Sea Salt to taste
Corainder for garnish
1. Soak the Rice noodles in mildly salted warm water for 4-5 minutes or until they are tender. Drain, wash with a cold water and set aside.
2. Prep the vegetables. Chop the mushrooms thinly. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Cut the raw mango into thin sticks. Chop spring onions and chilli likewise.
3. In a bowl mix together the chopped vegetables and add the juice of lemons, season with salt , add sugar and toss it all together with gentle hands. Let this mixture sit till the mushrooms go a bit limp. This should take not more than 5 minutes.
4. Add the rice noodles and using your fingers mix in the noodles with the veges. Check salt. Add the roasted peanuts and toss.
5. Garnish with your choice of herbs and serve cold 🙂
1. You could also add vegetarian soy sauce as used traditionally. I didn’t use it as it doesn’t suit my health.
2. The salad tastes best served cold and better after sitting covered in fridge for sometime. The noodles soak up the juices and taste even better 🙂