The soup saga continues 🙂 I love the idea of turning vegetables into soup! Mushroom soup has been on my mind since sometime. But addition of asparagus was a last minute call. The result was beautiful.. the soup without the use of any sort of Milk was creamy as a dream. It tastes very delicate. I don’t know how to describe the taste asparagus imparts but it was just so warming and aromatic I loved it 🙂 I have kept the other ingredients to a minimal for this soup to hero the veges. Just a hint of spices to warm up during this chilly weather.
I have been making an effort to add Asparagus to my regular diet because it is very healthy! Asparagus is loaded with Vitamins, antioxidants and Folate(Folate works with Vitamin B12 to boost your mental health). Asparagus also naturally fights cancer. In this recipe we just use the tips of asparagus and not the fibrous lower portions. It is better if you use a vegetable stock as the base but I dint have one so I replaced it with water and the recipe works just fine with that. If you are patient enough you could make your own vegetable stock to use for this recipe.
So here is a simple and quick soup recipe which will leave you licking the bowl 🙂
250g Button Mushrooms
100G Asparagus tips
1 Small Onion chopped
2 garlic pods sliced
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 inch Cinnamon
1 Bay leaf
1/2 L Water or Vegetable Stock
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Chop Mushrooms into big chunks and clean the Asparagus. Chop asparagus if using the whole stick keeping only the tips for this recipe.
2. Heat 3 Tbs Olive oil in a pan. Add Bay leaf and Cinnamon to the hot oil and let them release their flavor for a few seconds.
3. Add chopped Onion and garlic in the pan and saute till they soften.
4. To the above add 500ml of water and let it come to heat. Add Apple cider Vinegar.
5. Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick at this stage.
6. Add Mushrooms and Asparagus. Cover and cook till Asparagus is tender.
7. Season with Salt and pepper.
8. If using a hand blender, dig it in and blend until smooth. Else allow the liquid to cool and then blend it in a blender.
Note :- If using a low power blender, first try to grind the solids with little liquid from the pan, adding the full liquid only once the vegetables are blended into a smooth paste.9. Get the blended soup back on heat in the Pan and bring it to a simmer. Dilute if necessary. Check salt and pepper.
10. Serve hot with some cooked Asparagus tips to munch on :).