Hello All ! 🙂 Its been a while I posted a savory dish here. This recipe was requested by a friend on Facebook. Here is a Cheesie Macaroni Pasta made in vegan white sauce made from Cauliflower.
Dumping dairy has opened my eyes to how many vegetables can be used to replicate flavor and consistency of dairy products. This was one of my very first Vegan Pastas! 🙂 Super light on your tummy, delicate and creamy as hell, this pasta is a great vegan alternative. The cauliflower sauce has a very mild flavor and all vegetables and herbs complement it well. I like to keep it simple and pair it with one or two veges.
Makes 2 servings
2-3 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup macaroni pasta
1 Tbs Cashew nuts
8 garlic cloves
Red bell peppers
handful Basil leaves
1. Cook the Cauliflower Florets in sufficient boiling water with a teaspoon of salt. Remove off heat once florets are cooked through. Drain and keep aside to cool.
2. Soak cashew nuts in hot water.
3. Following instruction on pack cook macaroni in hot water with salt and a tablespoon of oil. Once cooked drain away the water into another bowl and wash pasta with cold water. (drained water can be used in preparing white sauce of pasta)
4. Grind the cooled cauliflower florets in a blender with some water into a smooth paste. Add little water to thin down the cream as needed. Season with salt and pepper as per taste.
5. In a saucepan take a tablespoon of oil and saute minced/thinly sliced garlic cloves.
6. Chop red peppers into thin slices and optionally steam them. Add these to the saucepan and slightly saute them.
7. Add the cauliflower sauce to the saucepan. Thin down the cream if needed by adding water and bring it to heat.
8. Add cooked macaroni and mix to coat evenly with the sauce. Add basil leaves.
9. Enjoy a flavorful , super light Macaroni in white sauce :).