This was my first effort in making Gajar Halwa and it had to be Vegan :). Cashew Milk and Mom’s recipe led the way to a delicious result.
It is a very simple recipe though it does involve a bit of love and patience :). Cashew Milk is easy to make. Soak 100 G cashew over night and grind it with little water into a uniform creamy texture. Add more water to get the desired quantity and whip it in a Mixer to get the milk.
Red Carrots 1/2 KG
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cashew Milk 1 L
Vegetable Oil – 3 Tbs
Cardomam powder a pinch
Raisons 1 Tbs
Dry Coconut 2 Tbs (optional)
1. Grate the half Kg Red carrots and steam it in Cooker with sugar and 1/3 cup water for 1 whistle.
2. In a heavy Bottom pan / Kadai put the cooked carrots and add 1 L Cashew Milk.
3. Cook the mixture on medium flame until the carrots soak in the milk and mixture dries up. Stir occasionally. This step could take about 20 Minutes.
4. Add oil and cook the carrots till you see a rich red color developing.
5. Add the desired dry fruits , cardamom powder and dry coconut and mix.
6. Switch off the gas and cover for sometime. Garnish with chopped Almonds. Enjoy your Gajar Halwa Hot or Cold 🙂