Sometime back I came across this traditional Filipino dish called Bibingka which looked really lovely and interesting to me !
I was inspired to veganize this very earthy dish. This is basically a coconut-ty cake made with rice flour and hence is a good option for a gluten free cake. It is cooked inside banana leaves and has a very rustic look to it. I have given it a vegan twist and also used jaggery instead of sugar in the recipe. The result was a very yummy soft homely cake made with simple ingredients.
I decided to bake this during Dussera festival as the ingredients rice , coconut and jaggery sing along perfectly for our traditional sweets 😉 Don’t they ! Also I was easily able to get hold of some banana leaves during this Puja time which I then used for baking :D.
Instead of making a cake from this recipe you could also bake it in small ramekins to serve individual portions.
The amount of Jaggery you use will depend on the sweetness of your jaggery. In my case 1/2 to 3/4 cup does it perfectly. The traditional recipe has grated cheese on top of it which I replaced with grated Tofu to give the texture , freshly grated coconut would also do a good/better job here.
1 Cup Rice Flour
A good pinch of salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking soda
3 Tsbp Vegtable oil (I used Sunflower)
3/4 cup Jaggery (powdered)
1 cup Full cream Coconut milk
1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
2 spoons Shredded Tofu (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F).
2. Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
3. In a bowl whisk oil with the jaggery and then add the coconut milk. Combine well to remove any lumps.
4. Mix in the grated coconut. Spare some for dressing the dish.
4. Line your baking vessel with banana leaves to ensure the batter sits inside the leaves.
5. Add flour to your liquid mixture few spoons at a time and mix well to get a smooth mixture.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and spread shredded Tofu on top. You could skip this and just use grated coconut on top of your cooked Bibingka.
7. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
8. Once cooked after few minutes in oven take out the cake and let it cool.
9. Garnish with generous amount of coconut and Enjoy :).